Pear and VEGGIE Sausage Stuffing - Slow Cooker
Calories 162 (14% from fat)
Fat 3 gram
Saturated Fat 0.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 31 mg.
Sodium 418 mg.
Carb. 28 gram
Fiber 5 gram
Sugar 11 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 8 gram
5-6 cups dry whole wheat bread cubes* (About 7 slices of bread, if you use regular wheat bread.)
1 tube (14 oz.) meatless veggie sausage
(We used Gime Lean Meatless Veggie Sausage.)
buttery cooking spray
1 cup onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 tsp. sage, ground
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 pears, cored and diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chicken broth
A stuffing recipe with hints of sausage flavor that’s actually vegetarian.
1. Cut or rip the bread into 1-inch cubes, spread it out flat on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. Bread is done when it’s crispy and dry.
2. Cook the veggie sausage according to package instructions, making sure it’s browned. When finished, set aside.
3. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly coat it with non-stick buttery cooking spray. Add the onion and celery to the pan and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until it gets soft. Stir the veggie sausage back into the pan and reduce heat to low.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes, sage, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, pears and cranberries. Then stir in the veggie sausage mixture.
5. Whisk the eggs and chicken broth together, then pour over the bread and veggie sausage. Stir everything together.
6. Lightly coat a slow cooker with buttery cooking spray. Pour the stuffing into the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Stuffing is done when it’s moist and spongy.
Yield: 12 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 1.5 - 2 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.