(Nutritional breakdown does NOT include marinara or pasta sauce.)
Calories 166 (2% from fat)
Fat 0.5 gram
Saturated Fat 0 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 645 mg.
Carb. 32 gram
Fiber 4 gram
Sugar 3 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 9 gram
buttery cooking spray
2 small zucchini (About 9 ounces total.)
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tbsp. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup marinara or pasta sauce, warmeda
(We used Classico Four Cheese pasta sauce.)
This is a great way to get the nice crunch of fries from something healthier.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a baking sheet with the buttery spray.
2. Remove the skin from the zucchini with a potato peeler. Then cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Cut each half into three pieces, lengthwise. Then chop those in half.
(In the picture below, the zucchini on the bottom has just been cut in half lengthwise. The zucchini on the top has also had each half cut into three pieces then chopped in half to make “fries.”)
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg whites until small bubbles start forming.
4. In a second shallow bowl mix together the next seven ingredients, whole wheat flour through paprika.
5. Drop the cut zucchini into the bowl of egg whites and toss until they are all thoroughly coated. Then use a fork to take them out, one at a time, and dip them in the flour mixture. Make sure each piece is coated. Then place the coated zucchini on the baking sheet.
6. Once the zucchini are all on the baking sheet, lightly spray everything with the buttery cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and turn everything once. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Serve with marinara or pasta sauce. This is best served hot.
Yield: 2 Servings