Cornbread with Jalapeno and Blueberry Jam
Calories 216 (17% from fat)
Fat 4 gram
Saturated Fat 1.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 28 mg.
Sodium 395 mg.
Carb. 38 gram
Fiber 4 gram
Sugar 13 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 6 gram
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup Splenda
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
Cornbread with Jalapeno
Buttery cooking spray
1/4 cup light butter, melted
(We used Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil.)
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1 whole large egg
2 large egg whites
1 cup light buttermilk
(We used 1.5% milkfat light cultured buttermilk.)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
(Or regular whole wheat flour if pastry flour isn't available.)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1/2 cup Splenda
2 Tbsp. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
If you like sweet and spicy, you'll love this mix of blueberries and jalapenos. We took the original recipe, reduced the calories by a third, cut fat in half, and removed two-thirds of the sugar. Freeze individual slices and reheat them in the microwave when you want a treat, anytime.
Make the blueberry jam, at least 8 hours BEFORE you mix it into the cornbread.
Blueberry Jam Instructions
1. In a large saucepan, combine the blueberries, Splenda, vinegar and salt. Stir together and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook, constantly stirring for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat. Put in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. This is your blueberry jam.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a bundt pan with buttery cooking spray.
5. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, sour cream, eggs and buttermilk until combined. Then whisk in the remaining seven ingredients, baking soda, cornmeal, pastry flour, jalapenos, Splenda, sugar and salt.
6. Once it’s well blended, pour 2 cups of the batter into the bundt pan.
7. Take blueberry jam out of the refrigerator. Set 1/2 cup of the jam aside. Then spread the rest over the cornbread batter that’s in the bundt pan.
8. Pour the remaining cornbread batter into the bundt pan, covering the blueberry jam.
9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick that’s inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean.
10. Remove pan from oven and set it on a rack to cool for approximately 5 minutes. Put a plate on top of the bundt pan and flip it over so the cornbread pops out and lands on the plate. This may take a minute, be patient.
11. Spread remaining blueberry jam over the cornbread and serve.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual slices for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 1.5 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.