Calories 82 (40% from fat)
Fat 3.6 gram
Saturated Fat 0 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 97 mg.
Carb. 9.5 gram
Fiber 1.5 gram
Sugar 0.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 2.6 gram
3/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely ground in a food processor
12-ounce jar of roasted red peppers, drained
1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Aleppo chili powder
(Aleppo chili pepper can be hard to find, but you can make something similar with sweet paprika and cayenne pepper. You need 3 parts paprika and 1 part cayenne. For this recipe, that's 3/4 teaspoon of sweet paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne.)
1/4 tsp. cumin, ground
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
salt to taste
6 whole wheat pitas (About 6 1/2 inches across.)
1. Toast the walnuts if they're not already toasted. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and put the walnuts in a single layer. Stir and flip every minute until they're nicely browned (but not burnt), about 5 minutes.
2. You can also toast the walnuts in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 5-10 minutes, but watch closely! They can burn quickly, so remove them as soon as they start to turn a deeper brown.
3. Put the toasted walnuts in a food processor and pulse a couple of times to chop them up.
4. Add the roasted red peppers to the food processor and pulse till it's a coarse puree.
5. Now add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT THE PITA bread. Pulse the food processor until it's all thoroughly blended. Put in a bowl and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
6. Cut each whole wheat pita into 4 slices. You can toast the pitas conventionally and cut them up or toast them all together. To toast them together, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit—lay out the slices of bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake the slices for around 10 minutes, flipping them and rotate the pan at the five-minute mark. Check for doneness towards the end of the bake time to account for variations in oven temperature.
7. Arrange the bread on a plate with the dip in the middle. A single serving is a slice of pita with a tablespoon of Muhammara spread on top.
Yield: 24 Servings (1 Tablespoon of dip with a quarter slice of pita.)
Freeze this recipe for easy re-heating later. Make sure each serving is tightly sealed inside small freezer safe containers.
Microwave each serving for approximately 1 minute, depending on microwave strength.