Split Pea Soup
Calories 343 (4% from fat)
Fat 1.3 gram
Saturated Fat .6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 16 mg.
Sodium 577 mg.
Carb. 76 gram
Fiber 29 gram
Sugar 7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 33 gram
4 Tbsp. fresh chives
(You can use dried chives if fresh aren't available.)
4 Tbsp. fat-free plain yogurt
1 1/2 Tbsp. low fat buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Splenda
(We used the box that measures cup for cup like sugar.)
1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
5 cups water
2 packets Herb Ox No Sodium Chicken or Beef Stock
1 bag (14 oz.) green split peas (rinsed and drained)
1/2 bag (7 oz.) yellow split peas (rinsed and drained)
3 large carrots (approx. 7.5 oz.) diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped onion
6 oz. 96% fat free ham, diced
1. Dice up the chives and then mix them together with the yogurt, buttermilk and Splenda. This is the soup topping. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Put the next eight ingredients, chicken broth through chopped onion into a soup pan. Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pot. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
4. Put batches of the soup in a blender or food processor and puree until it's smooth. Once it's all thoroughly blended together, put it back in the soup pot and on the stove.
5. Add the ham, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes. Once the soup is ready, remove from the heat and serve.
Yield: 6 Servings - 1 Cup per Serving
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them in freezer safe tupperware containers.
When you heat them up, microwave for approximately 4 minutes, stir and finish heating it for another 3 minutes. Keep the container open just a little to allow steam to escape.