Curried Chicken and Cranberry Stew
Calories 273 (14% from fat)
Fat 4 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 68 mg.
Sodium 284 mg.
Carb. 29 gram
Fiber 3 gram
Sugar 22 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 28 gram
3 tsp. canola oil
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
3 Tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp. butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. mustard seed, yellow
1/4 tsp. cardamom, ground
1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 can (14 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
1. Heat the oil up in a large non-stick pot or nonreactive Dutch oven over medium-hit heat until hot. Then add the chicken and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the curry powder. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally until it begins to brown, about 6-7 minutes. Pour the chicken out in a bowl and set aside.
2. Put the butter, onion and mustard seeds in the pot and cook. Keep stirring until the onions begin to brown and the seeds start popping, about 2-4 minutes.
3. Pour the chicken back into the pot and mix it all together, while adding the remaining curry powder and cardamom. Cook for an additional minute.
4. Stir in the can of tomatoes, chicken broth, dried cranberries, canned cranberries, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered until it reduces slightly and the chicken is cooked through, or about 10-12 more minutes.
5. Divide into 8 servings and garnish each one with the chopped cilantro.
Yield: 8 Servings