Black Bean & Turkey Sausage Stew - Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
Calories 213 (24% from fat)
Fat 5.6 gram
Saturated Fat 1.3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 26 mg.
Sodium 497 mg.
Carb. 38 gram
Fiber 19 gram
Sugar 7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 22 gram
1 bag (12 oz.) black beans
1 package (13 oz.) turkey smoked sausage
(We used Hillshire Farm Turkey Smoked Sausage.)
4 tomatoes (4 cups), chopped
3 green peppers (3 cups), diced
4 garlic cloves (4 tsp.), minced
4 jalapeno's (1 cup) with seeds, diced
1 large onion (2 cups), chopped
2 Tbsp. cumin, ground
1 cup plain Greek non-fat yogurt
3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
This recipe is a little higher in sodium. If you're on a reduced sodium diet, you should consider another option.
NOTE: 24 Hour Soaking Required! This is a SPICY recipe.
1. Soak the black beans in water (fully submerged) for 24 hours. After they're done soaking, begin the next steps.
2. Chop up the sausage into 1-inch pieces. Then cook in a non-stick pan over medium heat until they're browned.
3. Chop up the vegetables and put all the ingredients (except the yogurt and cilantro) in a 4-5 quart crock pot. Drain the beans and mix them in.
4. Turn the crock pot on high, cover and cook for 4-6 hours.
5. Divide into 8 servings and top each one with 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and 1.5 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
DO NOT top with the Greek yogurt if you plan on freezing. Add the yogurt only after it's been re-heated.
Microwave the soup for approximately 3-4 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape.