French Onion Soup - Slow Cooker (Crock Pot)
Full Serving (6 Per Recipe)
Calories 341 (25% from fat)
Fat 9.4 gram
Saturated Fat 0.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 2 mg.
Sodium 873 mg.
Carb. 50 gram
Fiber 4.8 gram
Sugar 16 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 8 gram
4 Tbsp. Light butter
(We used Smart Balance Light Butter with Canola Oil.)
6 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
5 pounds large sweet onions, vertically sliced (about 16 cups)
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cups unsalted beef cooking stock
(We used Swanson Unsalted Cooking Stock Beef.)
3 cups 50% less sodium beef broth
(We used Swanson Beef Broth 50% Less Sodium.)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
12 (1-ounce) slices whole grain French bread baguette
5 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
This recipe is written to have 6 bowls of soup as a meal. But you can also cut the serving size in half, freeze the extra and enjoy it as a starter dish. This recipe is higher in sodium, so if you're on a low sodium diet you might want to consider another option.
1. Place butter, thyme and bay leaf in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the onions and sprinkle the sugar over top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours.
2. Remove and discard the thyme and bay leaf. Stir in the unsalted cooking stock, lower sodium beef broth, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat boiler to high.
4. Arrange the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil for 20 to 30 seconds on each side, or until toasted.
5. Pour 2 cups of soup in each of 6 ramekins or ovenproof bowls. Top each serving with 2 bread slices and about 4 tablespoons of cheese.
6. Place the ramekins or ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet that has sides or a jelly-roll pan. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Serve.
Yield: 6 or 12 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
1. To freeze, don't prepare the bread. After onions and broth are done, package 2 cups per serving into freezer safe containers.
2. To Prepare: Reheat the onion soup for 2-3 minutes. Cut 2 bread slices from a French bread baguette and toast under the broiler for 20-30 seconds per side.
3. Put the soup in a ramekin or oven safe bowl, add the 2 slices of bread and 4 tablespoons of gruyere cheese. Set it under the broiler for up to 2 minutes, or until cheese melts and starts to brown. Then serve.