Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
Calories 55 (11% from fat)
Fat 0.6 gram
Saturated Fat 0 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 258 mg.
Carb. 10 gram
Fiber 2 gram
Sugar 4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 2 gram
3 (10-ounce each) beefsteak tomatoes, halved
8 garlic cloves
buttery cooking spray
3 tsp. light butter
1/4 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
2 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 (14.5 oz.) can unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. fat free half and half
3/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 Tbsp. fresh chives, minced
This was a lower sodium version of tomato soup our tasting panel really liked, from the October 2014 issue of Cooking Light magazine. If you like the soup a little heartier, skip the straining step.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Take the tomato halves and squeeze them into a bowl, separating the seeds and juice from the skin.
3. Cut the tomato skins into strips and lay them in a single layer on a foil-lined or parchment paper covered cooking pan. Add the garlic cloves to the pan. Lightly coat the tomatoes and garlic with buttery cooking spray. Then bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes until tomatoes are lightly charred.
4. Melt the butter into a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the rice and sauté until toasted, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato mixture, the roasted tomatoes with garlic, chicken stock, canned tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes.
5. Pour half the soup mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Strain the soup through a fine sieve over a bowl and discard the solids. Repeat with the remaining soup mixture.
6. Stir in the half-and-half and pepper. Then if you want, sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon chives over each serving.
Yield: 4 Servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
You can freeze individual portions to serve later.
Microwave the soup for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape.