White Bean Soup with Cayenne Pepper and Paprika
Calories 257 (28% from fat)
Fat 8 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 366 mg.
Carb. 36 gram
Fiber 17 gram
Sugar 4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 12 gram
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 shallots (3 oz.) minced
2 cups celery, diced
5 garlic cloves (5 tsp.), minced
3 tsp. herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds (optional)
3/4 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tsp. black pepper, ground
1 1/2 tsp. smoked (hot or sweet) paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper, ground
6 cups lower sodium vegetable stock
3 cans (15.5 oz. each) white kidney beans (cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups almond milk or fat free half & half
kosher salt, to taste
This is a creamy soup that pairs well with gourmet bread. I like to enjoy it with a slice of mango bread from my local bakery.
1. Heat a large non-stick pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, shallots, celery, garlic herbes de Provence, fennel, rosemary, black pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper to the pot. Cook, occasionally stirring, until celery and shallots are tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the stock and rinsed beans. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
3. Once the mixture is boiling, reduce heat to medium-low or low and cook, occasionally stirring until the stock thickens, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Working in batches if needed, pour the soup into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, adding almond milk or half & half and thin to your desired consistency. Make sure to puree until completely smooth.
5. Divide between 8 bowls, 1 1/2 cups per bowl. Season with salt to taste.
Yield: 8 Servings of About 1 1/2 Cups Each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.