Make Ahead Moroccan Stew
Calories 464 (21% from fat)
Fat 11 gram
Saturated Fat 4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 1097 mg.
Carb. 73 gram
Fiber 16 gram
Sugar 19 gram
Sugar Alcohol 3 gram
Protein 25 gram
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1 1/2 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ginger, ground
1/2 tsp. cloves, ground
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, ground
1/2 tsp. turmeric, ground
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1 1/2 pounds (two 12 oz. packages) Impossible Beef (Looks like ground beef.)
1 1/2 Tbsp. lowfat butter
2 cups onion, chopped
1 32 oz. container (4 cups) beef broth
1 32 oz. container (4 cups) unsalted chicken broth
1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
5 cups sweet potaotes, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 Tbsp. sugar free honey
(We used Honey Tree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
black pepper, ground to taste
This started as a recipe for ground lamb, but none of our local grocery stores carried it. So we tried it with plant-based beef and loved the result. You can store each serving in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze each serving, which will stay good for six months. Enjoy it with a slice of hearty bread to really fill you up.
Make-Ahead Mamas posted the original version of this recipe. This recipe is a little higher in sodium. You might want to consider another option if you're on a low-sodium diet.
1. Combine the cinnamon, cumin, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, turmeric and curry into a mixing bowl.
2. Put the Impossible Beef into the bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the butter and onions, then saute until the onions turn soft and start to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the spiced Impossible Beef into the pot, cook and stir until browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes.
5. Stir in all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT BLACK PEPPER.
6. Increase heat to high, stir and bring the stew to a boil.
7. Once it's boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Season the stew with black pepper to taste.
8. Divide into nine 2-cup servings each.
Yield: 9 Servings of 2 Cups Each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.