Calories 366 (26% from fat)
Fat 11 gram
Saturated Fat 5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 55 mg.
Sodium 908 mg.
Carb. 44 gram
Fiber 5.6 gram
Sugar 12 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 24 gram
2 Tbsp. salted butter
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cloves (2 tsp.) garlic, minced
1 pound 93% lean ground beef
2 cans (14.5 oz. each), no salt added petite diced tomatoes
24 ounces pasta sauce
(We used Classico Four Cheese Pasta Sauce.)
4 cups no salt added chicken broth
2 packets (4 grams per packet) Herb ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper, ground
8 oz. (About 3 cups) mushrooms, washed and sliced
8 oz. (half a typical box) rotini pasta
1/2 cup fat free half and half cream
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
cayenne pepper, to taste (Our panel liked 1/2 a tsp. total, you might like more or less.)
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
This soup serves up all the nostalgic vibes of a classic lasagna - without the hassle. It's perfect for freezing or as next-day leftovers.
1. Warm a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter and melt it. Then mix in the onion, garlic and beef.
2. Flatten the ground beef in the bottom of the pot. Let a crust form before you break it into smaller pieces. Sauté everything until the meat is fully cooked through.
3. Add the diced tomatoes (don't drain them), pasta sauce, chicken broth, bouillon packets, oregano, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and mushrooms to the pot of beef. Mix.
4. Heat a pot of water for the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions.
5. While the water for the pasta is heating up, stir in all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the parmesan—the half and half, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to LOW and finish cooking the pasta.
6. Once the pasta is ready, drain the water and add the pasta to the soup. Mix together and serve; approximately 2 cups of soup per serving.
7. Sprinkle a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl of soup.
Yield: 8 Servings of 2 Cups Each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.